Thursday, November 19, 2009

So how do you really feel about race?

So we talked a bit about race and stereotypes recently in class.  I mentioned that we all know what the stereotypes are, but we differ on how much we endorse them.  In other words, the content of all our stereotypes is very similar, but our endorsement of their accuracy varies wildly.

But, even if we disagree with a particular stereotype, can it still affect us? Research shows that it might.  There are what are called implicit stereotypes that operate outside of conscious awareness, but can still affect us.  A particularly clever methodology has been developed by Greenwald to test out our implicit biases - the underlying beliefs and associations that we might have and not even be aware of.  This methodology was originally developed to examine implicit attitudes directed towards African-Americans, but has since been extended to a wide variety of areas in which people standardly discriminate against each other.

I think this is research that provides a good model of what research should be; about important things, methodologically sound, based on prior knowledge, and ultimately, creative in its development and execution.  What Greenwald's test does is use our reaction time as a measure of what things tend to go together with what other things in our brains.  In other words, how quickly we can perform certain tasks is a clue about the structure of our concepts.

What happens is you are asked to make a decision about a series of pictures.  A photo of a face pops up - if the photo is of the face of an African American you are asked to indicate this by pressing the "e" button, and if it's the face of a European, you are to press the "i" button.  After this training session, the faces are replaced with words.  If a "good" word (e.g. love, glorious) pops up you press the "e", and if a "bad" word (e.g. war, hate) pops up you are to press the "i" button.  Then, after this second training session, you are asked to do both tasks at once.  Either a word or a face will pop up, and you have to categorize them correctly. This process is repeated, although the pairs are varied (i.e. first you might be asked to categorize (AA/good, EA/bad), then (AA/bad, EA/good)).

The critical dependent variables are your reaction times and mistakes.  If you can respond more quickly when the "good" words and European American faces are paired, then this suggests that you have an automatic association of European American and good.  In other words, you are quicker to respond to that particular pairing because it fits with your own unconscious attitudes.  The task and your beliefs match. On the other hand, if they don't, your performance will be slower.  So, we can get a sense of how strong your biases are by how much you are sped up or slowed down in your responses.  Analogously, your mistakes will tend to be in one direction.  If you make very few categorization mistakes for the (EA/good, AA/bad) trials, but many mistakes for the (AA/good, EA/bad) trials, then that suggests that the second pairing is harder for you because it doesn't match your internal associations.

As it turns out, most everyone, even people who are low in prejudice, tend to have biases.  In fact, when the IAT was first developed, many people became upset at discovering that they had been harboring less-than-nice beliefs (that's in fact, now in part of the consent form so that people aren't surprised to find out unsavory truths about themselves).  While some people argue about what these findings might mean, Greenwald and his associates make the argument that without due diligence on our part, implicit biases can indeed color our actions and impact explicit, conscious behavior.

Try the IAT for yourself.  


9 comments:

  1. I thought these were really fascinating! I took a few of the tests and thought that it was interesting that I tested to have 'slight preferences' when the test had drawings of faces and i tested 'neutral' when there were actual photographs. I wonder if it is because images are intended to be 'iconic' and speak to prejudices easier then individual people. Or it could also be this way because I have a passion for painting portraits. So naturally, i was very aware of the details in the faces and focused on that subconsciously before anything else.

    My initial response was kind of defensive. I thought that the drawings were really unnaturally distorted for a few of the 'dark skinned' people on the skin-tone test and even while taking it, it bothered me.

    Thanks for posting this!

    Kyirsty Unger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This posting is very thought provoking. It is true that stereotypes are quick to access and most of us hold similar stereotypes. But why is this case? After reading this posting and doing some research on my own, I think it has something to do with our social perceptions. Living in the same place, we watch the same TV shows, listen to the same radio stations and read the same newspapers, thus all of us receive the same information through the media, and a lot of this information perpetrates stereotypes. Due to the fact that we are exposed to media frequently, that frequency gives us the same social perceptions about stereotypes. But along with social perceptions, there is also our unique perception which do not come from the media, but come from our individual experiences. With our own unique perception, we then make the decision on which stereotype we think is true and which ones we do not quite agree with. This maybe offers an explanation for why “we all know what stereotypes are, but we differ on how much we endorse them”.

    I thought Greenwald’s research was interesting. Goes back to what we said about our perceptions being influenced by the mass media, we might think if we don’t watch or listen to them, then we won’t be affected; or if we don’t let them affect us, then they won’t because we are not in a normal conversation setting where the receiver of the message is being affected directly. However just like what Greenwald mentioned about the “implicit stereotypes that exist outside of our conscious”, we are affected by the media whether we realize it or not.

    Thanks so much for sharing this information with us Gabi!
    Tianhong Li(934339622)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My results were that I have a strong preference for white objects as well as white faces. My first reaction was to check the brightness of my screen to see if perhaps the white objects were reading better. No such luck -- full brightness.
    I'm a bit surprised by the results. I don't see myself as prejudiced to one color or other. At the same time, having had many personal and professional relationships with blacks, I do recognize and accept that there are genetic and cultural differences between the races. And I'll admit that I'm not entirely comfortable with all of those differences.
    I've long held the belief that prejudice is fine as long as one doesn't discriminate. This study is one that underscores the possibility that bias is not always conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 963755999

    I took two tests from this IAT site, and I don't think they aptly reflect what they are supposed to reflect. In my case, the order I saw the pairings first, was the order I was prone to respond to, even when the order was switched.

    In the first test, I took a test on disabled persons, and because "Good" and "Able Bodied" were in the same category, and vise versa, as soon as they were switched I did poorly on the test because I had just taught my brain to match them one way. Therefore when "Disabled" and "Good" were lined up, I did worse, skewing the results of the test.

    In the African American test, the opposite happened. "African American" and "Good" were lined up, so by the time I learned these categories, I did bad when the categories were switched, making the test think I just more strongly liked African Americans.

    My hypothesis for myself is that however they match the categories first, is what I will score higher in on the test, it's happend from 2/2, and I plan on taking more to see if it holds. If this hypothesis holds true, this test may test nothing more than our brains ability to switch pattern recognition quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't really related to the IAT's, but it's interesting nonetheless. RadioLab, an awesome program on NPR, did a show on race that was fascinating. Here's the URL:
    http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2008/11/28
    Just as an IAT looks to illuminate how issues of race or sexuality may be affecting someone on a subconscious level, the RadioLab program discusses how perceptions of genetic race may have been subconsciously construed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cesar E. Aranda Psy 311December 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM

    I took the test and had the same results as Neal and am also surprised at my results. However, when I was taking the test I never really looked at the pictures and words as "categories". In other words, I didn't really categorizing them as black and white or words with any particular emotion. My mind just went on autopilot and there wasn't a lot of thought process that went into my answers. It is just interesting to know that even when there is very little thought process involved, your unconscious beliefs can still be seen. I am hispanic and don't have any biases to any particular race, but this test indicates that I do. It would be interesting to take a test with options other than African American and European. Perhaps future tests could include Hispanics, Asians, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took the test and it showed that I have no preference. I'm wondering if this is because I am neither full european american nor full african american. Do people of european american descent typically favor the white faces and people of african american descent favor the black faces?

    If the black faces had been associated with the positive words first and the white faces associated with the negative words first, would it have changed the outcomes of this test?

    From my experiences taking IAT tests, it seems like the tests themselves are more biased than the people actually taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's intriguing to explore the hidden racial influences on our decisions. This reminded me of an experiment in which people pictures of white and black people and determined which was a criminal. If you really want to challenge yourself to assess people fairly by their appearances, google "Pick the perp". You will be shown five mugshots and have to decide who did what crime. This is an excellent example of racial profiling. An academic experiment by Peffley and Hurwitz titled: "Race of Criminal as determinate of death penalty support among whites: an Experimental analysis" states that whites are more supportive of capital punishment when shown picures of black men over white men for the same crime. Racial stereotypes play a huge role in the important decisions we make as a society.
    BreAnna Parker PSY 311

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first part of this blog really got to me. It asked, "even if we disagree with a particular stereotype, can it still affect us?". I, being a Middle Easter/Asian, I think that this really gets to everyone when they make judgments. I have lived in Oregon my whole life in which many people know me and would never say anything to my face, thinking that I am just an ordinary (stereotypically Caucasian)girl like they are. But soon after, especially in college, I have come to realize, that people all take racial influences into account and really see that people are not just made from color. I think that the example given at first was horrible (pressing "e" for African American, "I" for European and then having to tell between good and bad) but then I really thought that the only result this shows is peoples stereotype that they conclude too. I believe that this experiment should only conclude that there is no right answer for that and if the person taking the experiment is bias, to learn not to be. I understand that racial stereotypes are common and most true, I just think its completely wrong to do so.
    948525804

    ReplyDelete