Wednesday, November 25, 2009

How to be nice.

As we approach Thanksgiving, I wanted to mention that, as it turns out, happiness may be contagious, and being grateful isn't just good for the soul, it's good for the body as well.  And apparently one of the things we should be very grateful for is the action of a small peptide hormone known as oxytocin.
Above all, be thankful for your brain’s supply of oxytocin, the small, celebrated peptide hormone that, by the looks of it, helps lubricate our every prosocial exchange, the thousands of acts of kindness, kind-of kindness and not-as-nakedly-venal-as-I-could-have-been kindness that make human society possible. Scientists have long known that the hormone plays essential physiological roles during birth and lactation, and animal studies have shown that oxytocin can influence behavior too, prompting voles to cuddle up with their mates, for example, or to clean and comfort their pups. Now a raft of new research in humans suggests that oxytocin underlies the twin emotional pillars of civilized life, our capacity to feel empathy and trust.
We talked a little bit about oxytocin in class on Thursday, and I said I would link to a recent article on it. It's a good read - I recommend it.  The article focuses on some new findings about oxytocin, suggesting that it's involved in a lot about what makes society function relatively smoothly, from the ways in which we trust strangers within the context of scripted social interactions to how good we are at inferring people's emotional states using only their eyes as our guide.

While genetic data suggests that there are stable individual differences between people, there are also laboratory studies in which subjects are given oxytocin artificially.  These subjects then show differences in their behavioral and emotional responses to others.

In the Nature Study, 58 healthy male students were given a single nasal squirt of either oxytocin or a placebo solution and, 50 minutes later, were instructed to start playing rounds of the Trust Game with each other, using monetary units they could either invest or withhold. The researchers found that the oxytocin-enhanced subjects were significantly more likely than the placebo players to trust their financial partners: whereas 45 percent of the oxytocin group agreed to invest the maximum amount of money possible, just 21 percent of the control group proved so amenable.

As you all are undoubtedly aware of, tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  While certainly a welcome holiday, it is often fraught with tension and difficulty for many.  As laid out in this recent article, Thanksgiving, as well as a time for thanks, can be a time for tension.
As families gather around the country this week to celebrate Thanksgiving, many of them are bracing for the intense emotions of the holiday meal. The combination of food and family often brings out longstanding tensions, criticism and battles for control. Simple issues like cooking with butter or asking for seconds are fraught with family conflict and commentary.
Last year, my mother in law came over for Thanksgiving, and, of all things, the mashed potatoes were a source of controversy.  It took more patience than I had to handle that. She's coming over again this year, and comments have already been relayed to me about mashed potatoes, although she's said nothing to me directly about it.  In thinking about these articles together, one thought struck my mind.

I need some of that nasal spray.



5 comments:

  1. I read the article and one thing that strikes me about the reporting of the findings is that none of the experiments were described as being true across cultures. I would like to see a meta-analysis on this topic when more studies have been done. For now I won't invest money in oxytocin products. Saying it's good we're all different as the scientist in the article is quoted seems to be the cheapest and most simple response on the oxytocin topic at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I liked most about the article is how it mentioned that this would be an obnoxious world if everyone was all lovey-dovey and googly-eyed over each other. I thought that was funny. I have always wondered why some people, I think, are just plain out rude and careless of other people. I guess people like that are now happy to know that it is not their fault; they are just rude by nature. Well not necessarily. I hope people don't consider this as an excuse and encourages negative behavior. It is interesting to see the results of that study and that people were nicer and got along better when given a dose of oxytocin. It just shows you how we are so incredibly genetically different, even within our biological families because my sister could definitely use a dosage or FIVE of this hormone. Hmmm, I wonder if they sell it my local drug store, definitely worth investigating.
    -Isha McNeely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember discussing oxytocin in my human anatomy/physiology class in relation to pregnancy and lactation, and how levels rise naturally in response to the hormones produced during pregnancy. And if I remember correctly, we also talked about how levels of oxytocin are maintained after delivery by the suckling infant and that is what helps ensure that milk will continue to flow and also contributes to the strong bond that forms between mother and child during nursing. I guess biologists have been aware of this hormone for a while, but it seems to be popping up in the news more often. And I hope this isn't TMI, but I also remember my teacher commenting that oxytocin secretion can be stimulated both in females and males by having their nipples sucked. He actually recommended that the females in the class try it with their male partners to encourage bonding ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has any research been done looking at oxytocin levels and where one falls on the Myers-Briggs Thinking/Feeling Type Scale? I know that I fall strongly on the Thinking side of the continuum. I also know that while I find babies (human) and kittens and puppies cute, I'm not particularly troubled to hear a baby cry. (I'm a great babysitter for infants because once I've fed, changed, and rocked a baby, if they keep crying, I figure they just need to cry. I continue holding the baby, but it doesn't stress me out to hear the baby cry.) I'm also less empathetic in general (it appears) than a lot of people of my acquaintence. I'm rather impersonal, I judge people rather strictly and by impartial standards that I believe should apply to everyone. I have feelings of course, but I'm less about building relationships and making sure everyone on the team feels good about their effort than I am about getting stuff accomplished. I would find it fascinating to know if people like myself generally have lower oxytocin levels than people who score higher on the Feeling Scale used in the Myers-Briggs Personality Profile. If so, should team members all get a spray of oxytocin when they get together to work on group projects??? What about people going into negotiations, like people getting divorced or ambassadors hammering out international treaties. Maybe everybody should just get a daily dose of oxytocin and make our world a much nicer place to live!!
    Jane Franey

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm kind of curious if a child lacks oxytocin that they get from the attachment of a mother, does it result in being distant as an adult. Later in life you don't like physical touch and don't depend on anyone but yourself for comfort and etc?

    Bethany Walker psych 311

    ReplyDelete