Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Educational Opportunities

Anyone interested in medicine?  Oregon Health and Science University has a summer internship program for undergraduate students in the Center for Research in Occupational and Environmental Toxicology.  Work at OHSU for the summer, receive a stipend, and gain valuable experience to make your graduate/medical school application more competitive.  Plus, as you will be required to take mass transportation to work every day, you might get to ride this on a daily basis. 

Capstone anyone?  Finish up your required Capstone course in 2 weeks outside in the beautiful summertime Portland weather helping children and adults with physical and developmental disabilities enjoy summer camp.  Information here. By the way, all students I have talked to who have completed this Capstone have said really good things about it.  I highly recommend it. 

Or, if you prefer, put up with me for another quarter by taking my Early Childhood Education Capstone course. I'm teaching a small course in which students will be placed in local daycare centers to work with young children (ages 3 months to 5 years).  We'll meet to discuss application of developmental principles into applied settings, and you will be asked to complete a final project to present to your daycare center at the conclusion of the quarter.  See me for more information, and relatively soon, as class size is limited.

Healthy body, healthy life, healthy mind.  We all know the health benefits of exercise.  Let PSU and a little competition help you out here with the 20.20.20 mini-triathlon at the Academic and Student Recreation Center on February 20.  20 minute lap swim, 20 minute stationary bike, and 20 minute run.  

5 comments:

  1. Started my Camp Kiwanis application and am toying with the idea of the 20.20.20! Thanks for all the useful information! Did you by chance watch Oprah today? Very interesting and related to Human Development. Today's show's link is at http://www.oprah.com/oprah_show.html it was about Elizabeth Smart. VERY sad, but interesting...and psych related!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the links are useful. With the (large) number of students and the (relatively small) number of faculty at PSU, sometimes information gets lost.

    And, I will check out the Oprah interview. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would be interested in your Early Childhood Education Capstone course, but i have a couple of questions. Do you know of the criminal background check requirements to work in the daycare centers; will you be teaching it next year since i am not quite ready to take my capstone yet?

    rprager

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Yes, a criminal background check is required, as is a food handler's card and a resume and reference check.

    The criminal registry is a licensing issue. The daycare centers are not allowed to let you work in the center without registration. The food handler's card is for convenience. Without it, you are technically not even allowed to sit at the snack table with children. Both requirements can be completed online, and I have that information available for students that are accepted into the Capstone.

    And, if you are interested, I would encourage you to consider it this quarter. At this point, I am not sure I will be here next year, and while I would hope that someone would be able to continue my connections with the Portland Childcare Improvement Project, I wouldn't count on it. So, if you are really interested, I encourage you to think about whether or not it's possible for you to participate this quarter.

    Thanks for your interest. I'm really excited about teaching the course - I don't often get to teach small classes and it's a real treat for me.

    Best, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing my Capstone through Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp. I was really excited when they came in and passed out the brochures, so thanks for letting them do that. I was immediately interested. My brother is Autistic and I have several friends whose family members attend the camp, but I had no idea I could incorporate it into my education. I am a criminal justice and psychology major and I'm doing an internship through N.A.M.I. right now - the National Alliance on Mental Illness. I think Kiwanis Camp is a great opportunity. Also, I've applied for a job through the state of Oregon as a Mental Health Therapy Technician (direct care staff) at a group home. I'm hoping the combination of Kiwanis Camp and my internship at N.A.M.I. along with other things will help me get the job. Again though, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete